We hope you have had a lovely summer. We are looking forward to an exciting and productive year with Year 2.
Our topic for this half term is ‘Traditional Tales;. We will be looked at some popular fairy tales but we will also look at some alterntive versions of fairy tales.
In literacy, we will use adjectives to create character descriptions. We will do lots of drama to find out more about the characters in the story. We will also learn bout story writing and how to make stories exciting when writing our own traditional tale.
In Science this half term, we will be learning about the weather and seasons. We will also learn about materials and their properties through some of the stories in literacy. Some of the other subjects we will be doing are RE, French, PE, Computing and Music.
Some key information for Year 2 in Mrs Vincent’s and Miss Christie’s class…
* Mrs Vincent will teach on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Miss Christie will teach Thursday and Friday.
* Our support staff this year are Mrs Sheard, Mrs Harvey and Mrs Webster.
* Year 2 will be doing outdoor PE on a Monday and indoor PE on a Thursday. The children CANNOT take part in PE if they do not have the correct PE kit. Girls will also need to be able to remove their own earrings or they will need removing at home on PE days.
* We will be cooking every Friday starting from Friday 14th September. We will be cooking for 6 weeks this half term so cooking money will be £3 until the October break.
* Children can bring 20p for fruit from the tuck shop at playtime.
Please read a little every night at home. It makes a huge difference to your child’s progress! Remember to stop and ask your child questions about what they have read and the language the author has used. We will be sending a reading bookmark home with some ideas. If you want any further help with this then please ask Mrs Vincent or Miss Christie! To be able to go to the reading reward event, children must read at home every night.
Learning journal homework will be sent every Friday as well as weekly spellings to learn and practice. Please can learning journals be returned by the following Thursday to allow us to look at them before they come back home on a Friday. Spelling tests will be on a Friday and you will be informed of your child’s score. Please also keep practicing those timestables as they are really important! By the end of year 2, children should know the 2, 5, 10 and 3 timestables.
If you have any old shirts (children’s or sdults), please send them in to school so we can use them as painting aprons.
Thank you for your continued support and do not hesitate to pop in and see us if you have any concerns or queries. We are looking forward to working with you and your child over the next year!
Many Thanks, Mrs Vincent and Miss Christie